Extend FireWire 1394a/b over great distances by chaining transceivers! Do you feel like taking advantage of Firewire's ability to daisy chain over long distances? Are your Firewire devices hunched up in crowded areas along with computers taking up desk space? Gefen can help eliminate this problem.
The Gefen Firewire 800 Extender Plus gives you the freedom to relocate/remotely operate your computer, hard disc, or camera equipment as if it was connected locally -- without loss of data, at great distances. Extenders can be daisy chained together to form even longer extensions.
The Gefen Firewire 800 Extender uses sender and receiver boxes to instantly send Firewire 800 data to your Firewire devices thousands of feet away. It boasts a remarkable transfer rate of up to 800 Mbps and easily extends long distances when multiple units are connected in series.
The Firewire Extender Plus units can also be chained together to exceed the usual 1640-foot (500m) distance limit by daisy chaining the units. The distance limit of this method of extension is an astounding 31.5 km (18 miles)!
How It Works
The Gefen Firewire Extender 800 Sender device connects to your computer. A 2-strand LC-LC fiber cable (up to 1640 feet long, available from Gefen) runs to a Firewire 800 receiver. Each receiver has fiber optic output jacks, enabling more LC fiber cables and Firewire receivers to be connected to each other. The last Firewire receiver terminates the daisy chain and connects directly to computer accessories or Firewire devices.
Note: Intermediate units in a "daisy chain" topology must be powered in order to carry the signal.
Up to 63 units may be connected in a "daisy chain" to create very long signal extensions.
- Extends Firewire devices to an Maximum Distance of 31.5km (18 miles)
- Transfer Rates of 100/200/400/800 Mbps
- Compliant with IEEE 1394.a & b
- Allows remote devices to operate in real-time, connected to the source
- Works with Apple and PC computers
- Uses fiber optics to ensure long distance performance
- Optical Specifications: IEEE1394b-2002 compliant
- Link Connector: Duplex LC fiber
- Fiber type: 62.5 micron or 50.0 micron multi-mode fiber
- Data rates: S100 (122.44 Mbps), S200 (245.76 Mbps), S400 (491.52 Mbps), S800 (983.04 Mbps)
- Power Supply: External 12V DC
- Power Consumtion: 36 watts (max)
- Dimensions: 3.9"D x 0.9"H x 3.5"D
- Shipping Weight: 6 lbs.
- Firewire Extender Plus 800-S
- Firewire Extender Plus 800-R
- Two 12V Power Supplies
- Two 6ft 800 to 400 FireWire Cables
- One 6ft 800 Cable